The Gare de Lyon district is located in the 12th arrondissement on the right bank of the Seine. It is home to the Gare de Lyon, one of the main train stations in Paris, known for its architecture, including its large clock and clock tower. It is served by several metro lines, RER and high-speed trains, making it an important starting point for travelers and tourists. The district is particularly known for its gastronomy with many restaurants, some of which are highly reputed, such as the famous brasserie Le Train Bleu, which dates back to 1901 and is decorated in a Belle Époque style. Near the station, you can quickly reach the Place de la Bastille, famous for its commemorative column and its opera house, the Opéra Bastille. The district is also close to the Parc de Bercy, which is a large urban park with gardens, lawns and an artificial lake.
Our ideas for a successful stay in the Gare de Lyon district
For a successful day in the Gare de Lyon district, here are our ideas for activities not to be missed:
- Discover the Gare de Lyon: Start your day by visiting the Gare de Lyon itself. Admire its architecture, its large clock, and its clock tower. If you have time, grab a coffee in one of its many cafes and restaurants.
- Visit the Opéra Bastille: Just a 15-minute walk from the Gare de Lyon, the Opéra Bastille is another major tourist site in the district. Admire the modern architecture of this building and, if you can, attend a performance.
- Take a walk in the Parc de Bercy: If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city, head to the Parc de Bercy. This large urban park is the perfect place for a walk or a picnic. There are also gardens, lawns, and an artificial lake.
- Discover French gastronomy: The Gare de Lyon district is known for its gastronomy, so don’t miss the opportunity to taste some French specialties. The famous brasserie Le Train Bleu is a must-visit option, but there are many other restaurants to discover.
- Enjoy the nightlife: If you’re in town for an evening, the Gare de Lyon district offers many options for going out. There are plenty of bars and nightclubs in the surrounding streets.
Choosing the Right Hotel at Gare de Lyon
Choosing a hotel in the Gare de Lyon area can be a bit challenging, given the multitude of options available. Here are some criteria to consider to make an informed choice:
- Location: Location is undoubtedly one of the most important criteria when choosing a hotel in the Gare de Lyon area. If you arrive by train, choose a hotel near the station to facilitate your travels. If you plan to visit Paris’s tourist sites, look for a hotel located near a metro station.
- Budget: The Gare de Lyon area offers hotels for all budgets, so it is important to define a budget before starting your search. This will allow you to narrow down your choices and find the hotel that best suits your needs.
- Comfort: Make sure to choose a hotel that offers the level of comfort you are looking for. Check the amenities available in the room, such as air conditioning, TV, Wi-Fi, etc.
- Hotel services and amenities: Make sure the hotel offers amenities and services that meet your needs. If you are traveling with children, look for a hotel that offers extra beds or a crib. If you need to work, check if the hotel offers a fast and reliable Wi-Fi connection.
- Customer reviews: Before booking a hotel, check customer reviews on online booking sites. Reviews can give you an idea of the hotel’s quality, services offered, and location.