Montparnasse is a district located in the 14th arrondissement of Paris, on the left bank of the Seine river. It is a lively and cosmopolitan area known for its artistic and bohemian atmosphere.
Historically, Montparnasse has been associated with the artistic and intellectual life of Paris. In the early 20th century, it was frequented by many artists and writers, including Ernest Hemingway, Pablo Picasso, and James Joyce. The district was also the residence of many famous musicians, painters, and sculptors.
Montparnasse is also known for its many cafes and restaurants, which have been frequented by artists and intellectuals over the years. The Cafe de la Rotonde and the Cafe du Dôme are among the most famous from this time period.
In addition to its many cafes and restaurants, Montparnasse is also known for its numerous art galleries and museums, such as the Musée de la Monnaie de Paris.
Montparnasse is also the site of many cultural events, including music and film festivals and contemporary art exhibitions.
Despite its artistic and cultural past, Montparnasse is also a very lively and cosmopolitan district, with many shops, restaurants, and bars that attract a young and trendy crowd.
Montparnasse is easily accessible by public transportation, with several metro and train lines passing through the area. It is also well served by bus and tram lines.
In summary, Montparnasse is a must-see for those looking for an artistic and cosmopolitan atmosphere in Paris. With its many cafes, restaurants, art galleries, and cultural events, there is always something to do and see in this lively district of the city.
Hotels in Montparnasse
Hotels in the Montparnasse area of Paris are generally considered to be of good quality and well-located, with many options to choose from. The area is known for its lively atmosphere and proximity to popular attractions such as the Luxembourg Gardens. Some hotels in the area are also known for their artistic or literary history, having played host to famous writers and artists in the past. Overall, the Montparnasse area is a good choice for visitors looking for a central location with plenty of hotel options and easy access to the city’s many attractions.
Do not miss in Montoparnasse district
The Montparnasse district of Paris is known for its lively atmosphere and proximity to many popular attractions. Here are a few must-see places in the area :
- The Luxembourg Gardens : These beautiful gardens are a popular spot for locals and visitors alike, and are a great place to relax and enjoy the outdoors.
- Montparnasse Cemetery : This historic cemetery is the final resting place of many famous artists, writers, and intellectuals, including Simone de Beauvoir, Samuel Beckett and Charles Baudelaire.
- The Montparnasse Tower : The Observation Deck of the Montparnasse Tower offers a panoramic view of the city of Paris and is the only place in Paris where you can see the Eiffel Tower from above.
- The Catacombs of Paris : This underground network of tunnels and bone-lined walls is a unique and eerie attraction that offers a glimpse into the city’s past.
- The Closerie des Lilas : This historic café was a favorite haunt of writers and artists, including Hemingway and Sartre, and is still a popular spot today.
- The Museum of Montparnasse : The Museum of Montparnasse is dedicated to the artists and intellectuals of Montparnasse, and features exhibitions and works of art from the early 20th century.
Overall, the Montparnasse area offers a diverse range of cultural, historical and architectural attraction to visit.