Founded in 1869, La Samaritaine is a famous department store located in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, considered one of the most beautiful and famous stores in the capital city.
History of La Samaritaine
La Samaritaine was founded in 1869 by Ernest Cognacq and his wife Marie-Louise Jaÿ. Initially, the store was a small novelty shop located near the Pont Neuf, but it quickly became successful and was expanded several times over the years. In 1905, the building was completely rebuilt by architects Frantz Jourdain and Henri Sauvage in an Art Nouveau style. Over the years, La Samaritaine became a symbol of luxury and refinement in Paris.
The building of La Samaritaine is an architectural gem. It consists of several buildings of different styles, but the most remarkable element is the Art Nouveau façade, which was added in 1905. The façade is adorned with floral motifs and elegant sculptures that reflect the aesthetic of the time. Inside, the store is just as impressive, with bright and airy spaces that showcase the products being sold.
Shopping at La Samaritaine
La Samaritaine is a premier shopping destination in Paris. The store offers a wide selection of luxury products, ranging from fashion to beauty products to home accessories. There is also a large gourmet food store that offers high-quality gastronomic products. Shoppers can expect to find internationally renowned brands, as well as exclusive products available only at La Samaritaine.
La Samaritaine is much more than just a store. It is an experience in itself. Visitors can stroll through the different spaces, admire the architecture, discover the products on offer, and dine in one of the many restaurants and cafes. There is also a rooftop terrace that offers stunning views of the city.
The Neighborhood of La Samaritaine
La Samaritaine is located in the historic Marais district, which is one of the most popular and lively neighborhoods in Paris. Visitors can wander through the cobblestone streets, discover independent shops and art galleries, and explore the many cultural attractions in the area.
Here are some useful information for visiting La Samaritaine:
- La Samaritaine is open every day from 10am to 8pm, except on Sundays, where the store closes at 7pm.
- Address: 19 Rue de la Monnaie, 75001 Paris.
- The store is easily accessible by public transport. The nearest metro station is Pont-Neuf (line 7).
- It is recommended to allow enough time to explore the store and wear comfortable shoes, as La Samaritaine is quite large and there is a lot to discover, such as the different floors that each have their own universe, the dining areas that offer a variety of cuisines, the exhibition rooms where temporary exhibitions are presented, as well as special events that take place throughout the year.
- Visitors can also take advantage of the services offered by the store, such as home delivery, personalized style advice, or concierge services to organize city tours or reserve tickets for shows.